In the 1890’s, the Current Events Club in Mount Morris decided that it was important for the community to have a library. This group of women gathered their resources and started lending books out of one of the member’s home. The project grew, and they were forced to find a different place to house their collection. We know that it was housed at the Town Hall, on the balcony of a store downtown, and eventually in the Sandstone building on the campus.
The library was transferred to the town by the Current Events Club through special election in May, 1931. At that point it was legally established as a tax-supported village library. In 1949, a building was constructed at the present site. Two additions have been made, with the last being dedicated in the summer of 2002.